Author Topic: Spring Seat Bushing Question  (Read 264 times)

Offline Boss9kid

• Cool Newbie
Spring Seat Bushing Question
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:12:41 am »
I replaced a front suspension spring seat seat bushing on my Boss with a replacement I bought from NPD a number of years ago. The bushing pressed in nice and everything seemed to be okay until I rotated the mounting shaft afterwhich the shaft seemed to have "broken free" and can now be rotated by hand. It still has some drag but you can rotate it 360 degrees by hand. Even the old dry rotted bushing won't do this. I know it is meant to rotate enough to accomodate the suspension movement but this doesn't seem right.
Anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks.   

Offline ed meyer

• No Life
Re: Spring Seat Bushing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:57 am »
The shaft bushing originally was crimped in on the end that was pressed thru the spring seat so it locks to the seat and b9 spring seats were trimmed off the tips by tire area with an orange color code.

Offline Boss9kid

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:18:03 am »
Yes, I have the correct seat and I duplicated the 4 crimps. The problem (or maybe not a problem) is the mounting shaft within the bushing assembly itself rotates in the rubber fairly easily. I just haven't seen this before, usually they are much tighter.
Thanks

Offline 69BOSSNUT

• 870-780-4999
    • DSD Restorations LLC.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 06:59:46 pm »
Those bushings are made different than the originals. Unfortunately that’s the only ones available unless you can find an original NOS Ford piece. The originals were a rubber sleeve with the center piece pressed inside the outer tube. This is a very very tight fit. The aftermarket ones the center piece is put in and rubber is poured in. The center shaft I believe has some sort of texture to try and hold in place but doesn’t always happen.
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC.
www.dsdrestoration.com
dsdresto@gmail.com
870-780-4999
69 BOSS 302
70 BOSS 302
69 428 CJ

Offline Boss9kid

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:24:11 am »
Okay, that makes sense, the one I have now feels rough when I push down and rotate it. I was thinking of just buying the insert (center shaft with rubber bushing) one of the vendors currently has and pressing it into the old shell but I'm not sure what all that entails. Do I press the old shaft out?

Is there a particular aftermarket bushing out there that you have had good luck using? I haven't seen anything name brand like MOOG (probably would be made in China anyway).

The original bushing was still nice and tight but had cracking at the visible edges, I'm contemplating putting it back!
Thanks

Offline 69BOSSNUT

• 870-780-4999
    • DSD Restorations LLC.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 07:47:08 pm »
Not seen what the vendors are currently offering. If you can post a pic or a link for me to look at I could problem give you an idea. But other than the one like you got from NPD I have not seen any other style.
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC.
www.dsdrestoration.com
dsdresto@gmail.com
870-780-4999
69 BOSS 302
70 BOSS 302
69 428 CJ

Offline Boss9kid

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 08:41:47 am »
The only one that is different is at Mustangs Unlimited, they sell the shaft with the rubber bonded to it, you are supposed to use your old outer casing. I would give this a try but Mustangs Unlimited never answers their phone, sadly I think they are going out of business. I will probably just watch for NOS parts at the swaps and/or eBay.