Author Topic: How do you fit the Dead Nuts On 31 spline axle seal sleeves?  (Read 324 times)

Offline 167961

How do you fit the Dead Nuts On 31 spline axle seal sleeves?
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:38:35 pm »
Can someone who has actually fitted this actual product (not some other maker’s) tell me how you fitted them? Jack’s words on his site for the product say they need “lightly pressing”. Given that there is almost no metal on the bevelled end of the sleeve to push on, how do you press them on without buggering them? Did you find that they were a loose enough fit that you could press them on with very little force (and thus not damage the bevels)? Or did you have to heat them? If you did heat them did they then slide on without needing to be pressed?
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)

Offline AlexM

• No Life
  • Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
Re: How do you fit the Dead Nuts On 31 spline axle seal sleeves?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 06:43:24 am »
So I haven't used the ones from DNO.  But in the past I've done them with heating (just enough with a propane torch, not glowing red) drop on, maybe some lite tapping with a flat blade, cool, done. Also, I've used an old spare sleeve turned around to push on the new one, beveled nose to beveled nose and just light force on the press, seriously like almost the weight of everything was enough to push it on.

I've also used a little Permatex High Temp Sleeve retainer just to keep those things in place.
--Alex
1969 Mach 1
1970 BOSS 302 0F02G120146
1970 BOSS 302 0F02G119233 W code
1969 BOSS 302 9F02G196425
1969 BOSS 429 9F02Z198888 KK 1982

Offline DAdams

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:50:05 am »
When pressing the Ford sleeves I use an OTC bearing separator/splitter. The ID of the tool tapers to a pretty thin surface which just does grab the sleeve to press it on. I think Proto makes a decent tool as well. Obviously you got to be careful as if it slips you will booger the sleeve. Google the OTC 1120 series of bearing separators and take a look.

I forgot. I also turn the separator which some may say is upside down. Meaning the flat or backside of the jaws contact the beveled edge of the sleeve. The tapered side of the splitter is away from the sleeve. I'm probably not explaining myself very well. Sorry if your more confused..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:00:30 am by DAdams »

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:42:29 pm »
Hello Martin,1 st on the job is to measure where they go on the axles,the spacing so they line up in the middle of the axle seals when installed,i believe they would slide on if heated up properly.at your hardware store like a grainger or maybe a napa auto parts,you can purchase a heat stick they come in different temps 240. Or 250 degrees its like a crayon when it melts on the sleve its about that temp,just so you dont  overheat the sleve. Have  the axle Marked so you know where it goes  you'll have to be fairly quick. So it doesn't stick on the wrong spot. Finally use a little   green Loctite Sleeve retainer to make sure it stays in place. Just my two cents a 45-year professional mechanic.  Greg

Offline gtabert

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:59 pm »
As Greg (Badgas6228) said, it is critical to know where they go on the axle. I measured mine before removing the old one (this is not shown in the factory manual). I then wrapped aluminum tape around the axle at the seals lowest seating point on the axle, then heated the new seal with a heat gun, a hair dryer will not get the seal hot enough. After about 1 minute of heat applied with the guns highest setting, I grapped the seal with pliers around the outer edge, with the axle standing vertical, drop the hot seal down the axle, gravity will let it drop and settle at the stop point. It cools rather quickly so work fast, once it hits the stop point, it cools almost instantly. It worked for me first time.
0F02G129946
Grabber Blue

Offline 167961

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 03:31:18 pm »
Thanks guys. I’ll give heating a go then 😉
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)