Author Topic: 72 R Code  (Read 395 times)

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
72 R Code
« on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:16 pm »
What is the collective opinion on allowing discussion of the ultra rare 72 R Codes in this forum?

I’ve been around this forum for a bit, mostly on the TA section, as I built a vintage correct Boss 302 racecar out of a 70 M code. 

I owned a 72 R code for many years, and recently purchased a rough 72 R project.  I’ve forgotten some of the details I used to have at the top of my mind.  Just looking for a friendly discussion.

I also have a new domain...but haven’t done anything with it yet...72Rcode.org. I’ll eventually get it up with info.  I tried to post up my magazine article from the mid 90s.  Could figure out how to attach files in Wordpress.

1970 M code Boss T/A (ala Dano)  link to racecar
HHP

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
Re: 72 R Code
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:18 am »
Hi
I noticed that you are on 7173 forum....which you know the majority of R code owners (builders) are too.   

Rick (RcodeRick) here is probably the guys as he runs the R code Registry. Author of "comprehensive guide to restoration"     

Just like 71 R codes, 72's are tough to restore (if going correctly) because of the same one year parts for many of the items.  Though not as many made, the value being half over the years had MOST going for a Boss 351.   Lower compression, cam profile probably stops most people to.

IF you are going to "build as you want" then I think you will get the most enjoyment from it.  351C have a lot in the performance area!     

The biggest thing now is "what kind of economy" , life/need for cars will we have in the future.  Right now, there is no need.   Everyone is putting health, safety and shelter at the top of the list.  (even if it is only the out of work segment today 3/31/2020)

Mark

Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:19 am »
Figured with so many at home now, the keyboards would be more active.  I’m headed to the shop. Plenty to do out there.

Understand the rarity and economics involved.  I love these old cars for the emotions they invoke, not the cash they might bring someday.  I always enjoyed driving my previous 72 R code.  It wasn’t like driving my IRA around. I wasn’t worried about it getting damage or rock chips.  The new project will take a while to get done.  2 years I think. 

I’m optimistic the world as we know it is not over and will return to something very similar. 
1970 M code Boss T/A (ala Dano)  link to racecar
HHP

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 12:12:06 pm »
I think we all are optimistic, but seeing it took 10 years for values to come back after Oct of 08 and the fact that WE are 12 years older and "the younger crowd" wants Fox bodies and TUNE WITH YOUR PHONE.......I think we should all prepare for just that.     

Right now CARS are keeping men busy, like the kitchen is to others!    I just went from BUYING parts for an early restoration to "restoring the parts" that came off.   

We know WE ALL LOVE rare cars!

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline RcodeRick

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 04:42:55 pm »
Get in touch me with as I track all 72 R codes.

As with all 1971 Boss 351s.

boss351book@gmail.com